Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Divergence

Much of what I read on the OSR blogs is about making things different. This is, of course, one of the main points of the game - the creation of unique objects that can be shared among friends. This divergence from canon is tremendously important when dealing with experienced players steeped in lore, but there is little need for divergence from canon if the players are not very aware of the canon to begin with. As I contemplate the chance of running a 1e campaign for the first time in a long time, the canon beckons and I think I shall take the road more traveled. It obviously goes somewhere that a lot of other people have enjoyed...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And there is nothing wrong with that. I actually run games fairly close to canon, but bring in idea and options from other blogs and my own from time to time. I have a S&W game coming up that will be fairly divergent in that I will be using the S&W Companion website for additional classes and several blogs for monsters and spells. Although I am not sure how new players will know what is and isn't canon.

jgbrowning said...

I think I'm going to do the "canon+" route wherein I don't change any of the canon material, simply add to it.

Justin S. Davis said...

My friend Theron (at the "My Dice Are Older Than You" blog) runs a D&D game where 3/4s of the players are completely new to the hobby.

Part of the sheer joy of the game has been watching them experience, for the first time, such phenomena as "You're sitting in a tavern when..." and "Goblins attack the village..." and such.

All stuff we Old Timers have done a million times, but completely new and fresh for them. It's a blast to watch.

jgbrowning said...

Yep!

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP